Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Haiku

Last week, our class created haiku, a kind of Japanese poetry. Haiku are characterized by their brevity and emphasis on simple ideas, often evoking nature or time. Although they are not strictly limited to the oft-taught 5-7-5 or 3-5-3 syllable pattern, our students really enjoyed trying to figure out syllable counts for English words, an aspect of the language they'd never before had to consider. By reading our students' haiku, you can tell what inspires them most: daily life, relationships, happiness, and fried chicken. Here are just a few:
good day
has come and gone away
and I wait

Hyunsu Lim
Thunder in my brain
like an earthquake in my skull
Need more MEDICINE!

Charles Seol
it is Summertime
There is a tasty ice cream
I want to eat it

Namho Kwon
I like you
We are together
You are me

Jun Min Park
With starfalls --
Hearts are full of hope
Sky is bright

Yeon-Ho Ha
I'm very hungry
Tonight's dinner is chicken
I will eat a lot

Sung Youl Seo

1 comment:

  1. In the United States we often learn about Haiku, but unless it's through a specialty class we don't learn about Korean Sijo. What is your oppinion on this? Do you think US school children should learn about Sijo as well?

    I personally think that we should be taught about Sijo. I didn't learn about it until I started attending university. I think it's sad that I didn't also get to learn about Sijo when I was young.

    ReplyDelete