Saturday, June 14, 2014

Indian food I used to eat on a regular basis

I used to live in India for a long time. So I've tried lots of Indian food. I'll explain about the ones I particularly liked to eat.


1. Masala Dosa
Masala Dosa
A "Dosa" is a kind of crepe or pancake made from rice batter. "Masala Dosa" is a specific type of "Dosa" which has mashed up potato and onion stuffed in it. A "Dosa" is a common breakfast dish and a street food. You could walk around the streets and see a restaurant that makes "Dosa" every block. "Dosa" is a bit oily. You could probably squeeze about half to a full cup of oil from one serving of it.

I used to eat "Masala Dosa" once a week. I would go to church on Saturday morning and we would all order "Masala Dosa" for breakfast. That was my usual Saturday routine. Morning warship, a plate of Dosa, and then a game of soccer till I tire out. I would never forget the Saturday morning i used to have back in India.


2. Butter Chicken
Butter Chicken. Nothing to say. Literally my favourite dish I've ever eaten. It also is one of the most famous Indian dishes foreigners know.
Butter Chicken/Murgh Makhani
Butter Chicken
The dish is just chicken cooked in gravy. The gravy is based on tomato sauce but eventually has no tomato flavor at the end. It's called Butter Chicken because when cooking, a lot of butter is added and as the photo above, the white sauce is butter again. It's normally eaten with rice or Naan(top left corner of the picture above).

I've had this dish in all sorts of places. Our school would have it in the cafeteria, I would have it for lunch after a game of golf, and even in Korea, I wouldn't even look at the menu and order this dish.


3. Paneer
Paneer
You would probably think this is a dish made from tofu. But paneer is actually a type of cheese eaten in India. It does have that 'Cheesy' texture rather than 'Tofu' texture. This dish also have many variations to it. I don't exactly recall the name of the variation I had, but i remember it tasting a bit similar to the Butter chicken above. That's probably why I also enjoyed this dish a lot.

I have had this dish only in the school cafeteria. I didn't purposely go out for this dish but whenever it would appear on the school menu, I would have a big serving. This dish personally didn't look very nice to me at first. But I saw couple of my friends having it and I gave it a try. It was awesome. Never judge a book by its cover.


4. Kati Roll
File:Kathiroll.jpg
Kati Roll
This roll is a bit like a burrito except that it is a bit spicy and has chicken instead of beef. It was originally a kind of kebab but it changed its appearance to a roll, changing its name to "roll".

 This one was also a bit "rare" menu. I would only have it in school for lunch. But it would appear quite often so I've had it a lot. I actually mistook it for a burrito at first. And I really liked burritos. But after I realized it was not, I liked it better than the burritos in our school.


5. Tandoori Chicken
File:Chickentandoori.jpg
Tandoori Chicken
Another "street food". You could walk around the streets and see grills cooking chicken almost everywhere. It is served as a side dish in almost any kind of meal. It can be had as a appetizer or beside the main dish.

Almost every single time I go to a Indian restaurant, we order this dish or it is served basically. So I've had many changes to eat it. And still in Korea, nowadays, it is served in our cafeteria which I really am thankful for.


6. Chicken Biryani
File:Dum Biryani Plate.jpg
Chicken Biryani
Not a meal I really enjoyed, but I've had it every now and then. It's a bit like Chinese fried rice but a bit more 'oily' and has more spices to it. Another thing is that it sometimes has a whole chicken leg instead of chicken bits. The rice itself is a bit different from rice we have normally. 

I actually don't have much memory of this but I remember one thing. It was 7th grade. We were on a field trip and had to have biryani for lunch. Many students disliked it. But I just had it (I was hungry). But I only remember it being so good. But the next day, I thought it would have been the same. But it wasn't that good. So I really don't know if I like this meal or not.

6 comments:

  1. I love all of the different flavors found in Indian food. It was nice to be able to read descriptions of Indian food from someone who has personally lived in India. Thanks for sharing! I also mistakenly thought the cheese was tofu the first time I tried it. Oops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I've been thinking that for 5 years!!

      Delete
  2. I love Indian food! I crave curry and naan all the time. It's so interesting that you lived in India for a while. You must miss Indian food now. I know I will miss Korean food a lot when I go back to America. ㅠㅠ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have as much as you can before you go! Until you get sick of it!!

      Delete
  3. This is making me so hungry! Great descriptions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The description made me hungry too!

      Delete