Sunday, June 15, 2014

What Drawing Means to Me

 
I’m 19 years old and I have been drawing for 17 years. I grew up with pictures, so drawing has a special meaning to me. Drawing is not just an expression of beauty, but a method to express myself and everything about me, for example, my thoughts, ideas, ideals, emotions.
 

Various artists(2013)


 
Sometimes, people tell me that I’m good at drawing, and though I blush to say it, my drawings are not so bad. But I wan’t born with artistic talent, I was ordinary about these things doodling, drawing pictures, designing something. If there is one thing different between me and people who don’t enjoy these, it is whether they feel joyful when they do the activities.

The incomplete



Though I have interest in art, I attend a science high school, where looks like have none of connections with art. Some people ask me why I don’t want a job related to art. Until I was 8 years old, I wanted to be a painter. But I’m getting older and older, I changed my dream to another job. When I am forced to study for a long time, I got to hate to study and thought studying is tedious. If I want to be a painter, I must learn technical things about drawing. And there might be times when I don’t want to draw, but I have to do, just like studying. It means the meaning of art changes from joy to duty. I worried of that I couldn’t draw what I really want to express with the true heart. Because of this reason, I’m walking a quite different way from the art.

An artist(2013)

Sometimes I doodle during studying time, and I can’t study effectively. I tend to concentrate on drawing rather than studying. So I feel guilty that I didn’t study when I have to do study. I’m trying to control the compulsion.

I don’t think I will quit drawing until I am dead. When I get older I mean when I retire, I’ll be an artist and support young artists who don’t have enough money to be active but have high aim and passion.


A flying bird(2014)
 

 
I‘m going to introduce how to draw well. Here is some tips.
 
1. Don’t fear drawing
When I suggest drawing, many people say. “I can’t draw,” and they avoid drawing, though I’ll never criticize their drawings. Don’t fear drawing. Whatever you even draw, it has its own beauty and individuality.
 
2. Practice controlling your pen
If you practice controlling pen, your drawing will look much better. Using thick and faint line give more information about the picture and make its expression richer. So try to control the strength with your pen. Using a pencil might be easier to practice.
 
 
Practicing  drawing lines

3. Draw every day
The best way to improve your artistic ability is to practice. Have interest in drawing and draw pictures in your spare time. There is no royal road to learning something. If you want to draw well, invest your time and make an effort.
 
I hope everyone enjoys drawing and gets into the swing of expressing your feelings and sentiments. It will help you to appreciate works of art, and it’s also good for your life and mental health!


by, Dohee Kim

12 comments:

  1. Your artwork is beautiful! Thank you for the tips at the end. I'll definitely take them into consideration because you've inspired me to try drawing again! I'm particularly impressed with tip #2. I never realized that was why I would see so many lines and squiggles in my friends' sketchbooks...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment!! :-D I'm glade to here that you to try drawing I hope you enjoy your drawing!!

      Delete
  2. It is very insightful of you to be wary of coming to hate drawing by being forced to do it. Pressure often keeps us from enjoying things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do Hee, you are so talented! I still remember the picture you drew of me when I visited your school. My favorite picture from this post is "A flying bird." I wish you the best in the future (for both your career and your passion for art). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm embarrassed by your praise. Actually I drew "A flying bird" after I read "Demian", so the bird might be the Abraxas!!

      Delete
  4. Your drawings are very beautiful! I hope that whatever career you choose brings you happiness, and that you continue to enjoy drawing as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. Thank you for the word. I'll always try my best at the every moment!!!!!

      Delete
  5. You'll do well Dohee:) I am not sure what your career goal is but I am sure that your drawing skills will benefit you somehow. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn' t have a chance to demonstrate my artistic ability clearly yet. I want to show my work to many people someday!!!:-)

      Delete
  6. Dohee, you are an inspiration. Incredible drawings, but also incredible thoughts. Sometimes, turning our passions into obligations take all the beauty out of it. I applaud your thinking and your courage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your praise!! Spare my blushes :-D

      Delete